We are Girlguiding the leading charity for girls and young women in the UK.

Sheffield's County Standard

The Standard was presented to the then Sheffield LA (Local Association) by Mrs C. W. Clegg, J.P. who was the first Division Commissioner of Sheffield, and dedicated in Sheffield Cathedral in 24th May 1928.

The Standard was worked by the Sisters of St. Peter’s Convent at Horbury, near Wakefield. The motifs are appliquéd on royal blue roman satin with real gold thread. There were originally four sheaves on the fly to represent the four Divisions of Sheffield in 1928. A fifth was added in 1950.

When Sheffield became a Guiding County in 1967, the Sisters of St. Peter’s Convent repaired the Standard and added a further sheaf to represent the sixth Division. By superimposing a part of the Sheffield Coat of Arms on to the existing White Rose of Yorkshire, the new Sheffield County Badge emerged.

Picture of County Standard

 

This new County Standard was re-hallowed at an Inauguration and Dedication Service of the new Sheffield County at Sheffield Cathedral on 24th October 1967.

Although the number of Divisions has changed over the years (ranging from nine to seven at present (2002)), the sheaves representing the Divisions are unaltered due to the fragility of what we believe is one of the oldest County Standards still to be in use.

 

 

Girlguiding Sheffield - County Head Office:

Guide House
41 Townhead Street
SHEFFIELD S1 2EB

Tel: 0114 272 5557
Email: guide.office@girlguidingsheffield.org.uk

Website design & build by
Grey Matter | Web Design Sheffield